If web protection is enabled, web content is checked for malware while you are browsing. You can create the following settings here.
- Scan web content (HTTP): Under the web protection options you can specify that all HTTP web content should be checked for viruses, even when browsing. Infected web content is not run at all and the corresponding pages are not displayed. To set this option, please check Scan web content (HTTP).
If you do not want to check web content, the virus monitor will still of course take action if infected files are executed. That means your system is also protected without checking Internet content as long as the virus monitor is active.
You can also specify certain websites as exceptions if you consider them harmless. For more information please read the section Define exceptions. You can use the Advanced button to create further settings for handling web content.
- Phishing protection: With so-called phishing, scammers on the Internet attempt to redirect customers of a particular bank or shop to fake websites in order to steal their data there. Activating the phishing protection is highly recommended.
- Submit URLs of infected websites: Through this function you can automatically – and anonymously of course – report websites that are deemed unsafe by the software. With that, you optimise security for all users.
- Manage browser extensions (HTTPS): For increased protection against infected and fraudulent websites even when using HTTPS, G DATA has recently developed additional web protection extensions for the Mozilla Firefox , Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge Internet browsers. We support Microsoft Edge as of Windows Service Pack 5. For information on installing the extensions, click here.
- BankGuard browser protection: Banking Trojans are becoming more and more of a threat. Every hour, online criminals are developing new malware variants (like ZeuS or SpyEye) that they use to steal your money. Banks secure data traffic on the Internet. However, the data is decrypted in the browser and banking Trojans can attack it there. However, the pioneering BankGuard technology from G DATA secures your banking transactions from the outset and provides instant protection where the attack takes place. By checking that the network libraries used are genuine, G DATA BankGuard ensures that your web browser has not been manipulated by a banking Trojan. We recommend leaving G DATA BankGuard protection switched on.
- Keylogger protection: Keylogger protection also monitors whether keyboard input on your system is being spied on, independently of virus signatures. This would give attackers the option of logging your password input. This function should always be enabled.
Web protection - Define exceptions
To add a website to the exceptions in the whitelist, please proceed as follows:
- Click on the EXCEPTIONS button. The Whitelist window will appear. This will display the websites that have been categorised as safe and entered here.
- To add another website, click on the NEW button. An input screen will appear. Enter the name of the website (e.g. www.harmlesssite.com) under URL and, if necessary, enter a comment under Note about why you have included this website. Confirm your input by clicking on OK.
- Now click on OK to confirm all changes to the whitelist.
To remove a website from the Whitelist, highlight it in the list using your mouse and then just click on the DELETE button.
Web protection - Advanced settings
Here you can specify which server port numbers should be monitored by web protection. Generally port number 80 will suffice for monitoring normal browsing.
- Avoid browser timeout: Since the software processes web content before it is displayed in the web browser, it requires a certain amount of time to do so depending on the data traffic. Therefore it is possible for an error message to appear in the web browser because the browser is not receiving data immediately, since the antivirus software is checking it for malicious routines. By activating the Avoid browser timeout checkbox, you can disable this error message and, as soon as all browser data has been checked for viruses, the data will appear as normal in the web browser.
- Enable notification when checking downloads: Enable this function to get a notification whenever a download is being checked.
- Size limit for downloads: You can use this function to interrupt HTTP checks for web content that is too large. The contents are then monitored by the virus monitor as soon as suspected malicious routines become active. The advantage of the size limit is that there are no delays caused by virus checks when surfing the web.