Exceptions for on-demand scan
By clicking on the EXCEPTIONS button you can exclude specific drives, directories and files from the scan and so significantly accelerate parts of the virus detection process.
To do this, proceed as follows:
1. Click the EXCEPTIONS button.
2. Click on NEW in the Exceptions for on-demand scan window .
3. Now, select whether you want to exclude a drive, a directory or a file or a file type.
4. Underneath this, select the directory or drive you want to protect. In order to protect files, enter the complete file name in the entry field under File mask. You can also use wildcards here.
Note: Wildcards function as follows:
- The question mark symbol (?) represents individual characters.
- The asterisk symbol (*) represents entire character strings.
For instance, in order to protect all files with the file extension .sav, enter *.sav. In order to protect a special selection of files with sequential file names (e.g., text1.doc, text2.doc, text3.doc), enter text?.doc for example.
You can repeat this procedure as often as desired and also delete or modify the existing exceptions.
Apply exceptions to idle scan: While the on-demand scan checks the computer for viruses at one specific time, the idle scan is an intelligent virus scanner that continuously checks all files on your computer to see if they aren't already infected. The idle scan works like a screen saver; it only activates when you do not use your computer for a while and stops immediately as soon as you continue to use it again. Here you can specify whether the defined exceptions should also apply to the idle scan.