Clients - Menu Organization
When the Clients tab has been selected, the Organization menu is displayed in the menu bar, offering access to settings related to client organization.
Show disabled clients
Using the option Show disabled clients, clients that have not (yet) been enabled can be shown. Disabled clients are shown as grayed out icons.
Clients can be combined into groups to apply settings to multiple clients at once. Easily distinguishable security zones can be defined since all settings can be made for both single clients and for entire groups. Select a ManagementServer or group, and then click the Add group option. After entering a group name, clients can be assigned to the new group by dragging and dropping them onto it. To move a large number of clients into a group, use the Clients > Overview module. Select the clients that should be moved, right-click and choose Move clients.
The Edit group option opens a window where the Add and Remove buttons can be used to add clients to groups or remove them from groups. This option is only available when a group has been selected on the Clients tab.
Individual clients can be removed from the client list with the Delete command. G DATA Security Client is not uninstalled by removing the client from the list.
To delete a group, all of its included clients must be either disabled or moved to other groups as necessary. Only empty groups can be deleted.
The Find computer(s) window can be used to add clients to the Clients tab and enable them. Clients can be found by IP address and enabled directly from within the dialog window. The Find computer(s) window will contact all computers in a specified IP range. The range can be defined using a Start IP and End IP (such as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.255), or a Subnet address (in CIDR notation, such as 192.168.0.0/24). To make sure that only available clients are listed, select Only search for available clients (Ping). Click Start search to start the network search. Computers will be listed as soon as they are found. If the search process is taking too long, it can be canceled by clicking Cancel search.
All computers that respond to the IP check are listed, including their IP address and computer name. Using the Enable button, the respective clients can be added to the Clients tab. The search result includes enabled clients, if applicable - these can be disabled by clicking Disable.
Organization - Rule wizard
When clients connect to ManagementServer for the first time, they are automatically added to the group New clients if no group has been defined when enabling the client or creating the installation package. The Rule wizard can be used to create rules that regularly move new clients to predefined groups.
Rules can be managed using the New, Edit and Delete buttons and the arrow buttons next to the rule list. The Import and Export buttons can be used to import/export the rules as .json files.
Under Settings, the general settings for the execution of the rules can be defined:
- Schedule: The rules are executed Hourly, Daily or Weekly.
- Time: Define the exact point of time at which the rules are executed.
- Apply group settings: After being moved, clients are automatically assigned the settings from the group to which they were moved.
- Only move clients from the group "New clients": The rules only apply to clients from the group New clients. If this option is deselected, the rules apply to all clients. This can cause clients to be moved around multiple times and should usually be left selected.
- Execute now: Execute the rules immediately.
Using a number of settings, you can define rules that automatically move clients between groups:
- Rule type: Select whether the clients are selected by Computer name, IP address, Domain or Default gateway.
- Client placeholder: Enter the search string that is used to select clients. You can use placeholders. For example, enter Sales_* to select all clients with the name prefix Sales_ (when using the Computer name setting) or 192.168.0.[1-100] to select all clients with IP addresses between 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.100 (when using the IP address setting).
- Client type: Select which client types are moved (All, Workstation, Server, Android device or Laptop).
- Groups: Enter one or more groups or select them by double-clicking on a group in the tree view. When multiple groups have been entered, the selected clients will be divided equally over the groups.
Organization - Installation package
Create installation package for Windows clients
This function can be used to create an installation package for G DATA Security Client. Use the package to install G DATA Security Client locally. See the chapter Local installation (Windows) for more details.
Create installation script for Linux/Mac clients
This function can be used to create an installation script for G DATA Security Client for Linux and G DATA Security Client for Mac. Use the script to install G DATA Security Client locally. See the chapters Local installation (Linux) and Local installation (Mac) for more details.